Thursday, June 22, 2017

A vintage coffee time


What is the first thing that comes into your mind, when you spot a vintage coffee- or tea set somewhere? One of these squiggly, elegant ones that seem to be condemned to live a dusty life in a display cabinet, being only revitalized at grandma’s birthdays. It might be exactly that: We think of a special occasion, or a long gone time when folks enjoyed a hot drink in a picturesque scenery. Our modern day coffee break though, is often as idyllic as drinking champagne while waiting at a bus station.
Time is so limited, that having coffee in a bulky mug, while fumbling with the smartphone, not aware of the actual process of swallowing, has become the norm. And if we’re honest, it also seems like a lot of work to arrange a lavish table setting in the morning while a giant ticking clock is hovering over our heads. Making sure, we are managing to look presentable and greeting the day in time. As for a sip in the afternoon, there seems to be something odd in fishing out all the required pieces of china, for just a quick boost of energy in form of a simple coffee. Some may also add that it’s way cooler, to hold a cup of latte, during a shopping trip in the city, than balancing the fragile chinaware at a table. Yet, this is exactly what I have learned to enjoy frequently. The atmosphere of a peaceful moment, away from the hustle and bustle. Only concentrating on one, maybe two things at a time. In fact, looking at a well-set table comforts me, knowing, that my world seems in order as the scent of fresh brewed coffee reaches my nose.
Aside from the classic cucumber sandwiches or scones, one might as well enjoy anything that reaches from pastries to other delicacies one usually would enjoy with a cup of java.
Sure, it would look a little disturbing to co-workers, if there was a scene of someone packing out their china, placing it gently at the desk, next to the computer.
And how would the head of department be surprised, if he found the nurses sipping coffee like in a Jane Austin adaption in a hospital staff room! Yes, there is a time and place for everything. And there is free time, there are weekends, there are reasons to do something simply different than usual, no matter how old fashioned it might appear. 
Celebrating tea time with friends is- compared to our coffee-  expected to be held with a little sense of sophistication. So why shouldn’t we enjoy a little refinement in the pleasure of drinking the brotherly liquid. So we can dive into a small world of order and deceleration for a few minutes, before facing the modern life and it’s “I’M HOT’, or ‘NICE BUTT‘- mugs and smartphones again.
Here are a few ideas for a quick and fun coffee table setting. The readers who rather enjoy a cup of tea, may feel just as inspired.
Candles are part of every table setting I ever create. Just one can already- literally- lighten up the dullest place.

When you don’t use cloth napkins, no problem. Fold a paper napkin over a knife and push the material.

Coffee set, that can as well be used as a tea set: Vintage

Sandwiches with homemade spelt bread & strawberry jam. 



20 comments:

  1. Amazing, I am pretty sure your blog will be very sucssesful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juliane! That is very encouraging:) ♥

      Delete
  2. This makes me want to use my tea pots now! Lovely article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm pleased to hear that!, Thank you ♥

      Delete
  4. Thank you for reminding me to use my vintage coffee cups that have been waiting in my cupboard to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article Lily. I am moving house and I miss my vintage cups and tea pot and I can't wait to get them out of the box again.
    Best of luck with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I know the feeling of finally unpacking the beloved items after moving. Wishing you a lovely future in you new home.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful blog Lily, I am so enjoying your youtube,stagram and now this lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to read that! Thank you ♥♥

      Delete
  7. Lovely piece and photos. Good luck on the blog. I hope it is a big success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so kind of you. Thank you, Lisa! ♥

      Delete
  8. I wish all the best in the world to you Lilly. Always be happy and good luck with everything! I love your blog. Bravo to you! Your hair when you make the tea table are amazing. All of you! What did you do with your hair? Do you have a video similar to that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, thank you so much for the wonderful encouragement. As for my hair, I just pulled it back a little, nothing fancy:)

      Delete